What were the moments where you knew you that you no longer wanted to be in a relationship or friendship with someone? I can think of so many!
- When you told one of my friends that you wanted to inject me with speed (despite knowing I was heavily medicated) because you thought it would be funny to see what happened. (An ex)
- When I got upset in a museum because the exhibition was really triggering so I walked out and you continued to walk around by yourself. Then when you told me I need to see that sort of stuff because it represents the real world and I told you I am very aware of how fucked up the real world is. (An ex friend)
- When I told you that the gay and lesbian mardi gras is really fun and you told me that homosexuality is unnatural and that you didn’t accept it. (An ex)
- When we were just hanging out in a park and one of your friends came up to us and held out a condom while winking and you took it. Ew. (An ex friend)
- When I wasn’t allowed to hug my friends or be friends with males, lesbians, or bisexual girls. (An ex)
- When I needed support in high school and a counsellor organised a meeting so my friends would understand what I was going through and you openly admitted to not wanting to be my friend because I had issues. (An ex friend)
- When you proudly proclaimed that you hated Jewish people and made awful jokes about them. (An ex friend)
- When I wanted to watch the puppets in the Christmas display and you told me that it was boring and walked away. (An ex friend)
- When I had a date coming up with you and my friends joked about how you would want to make out with me and I freaked out and realised I was more in love with the idea of having a boyfriend than actually having a boyfriend! I was pretty young. (A sort of ex)
I am sure that I have more examples but I’ll end this on a positive note. These are the moments I knew my best friend and I would be friends forever.
- When she never forgot my birthday and always brought me something even though we were in different groups for most of high school.
- When I got upset because everyone in my friendship group was gossiping about me so I ran to the bathrooms to cry and she ran after me and comforted me.
- When she let me cut her hair and wax her eyebrows. Even though I botched both, she never got mad, she just laughed.
- When she put herself in danger by standing between a violent ex and me even though he had already tripped her over.
- When we used to have entire conversations with our eyes.
- When she had her baby and called me straight away even though she’d had a long and hard labour because she wanted me to meet her beautiful little girl.