I was at a self-serve checkout when I noticed someone had left $5 in the money collection part of the machine. I had an internal argument which went something like this-
- Just take it before anyone notices!
- No one is going to come back for $5!
- What if someone does come back?
- What if someone sees me take it and judges me?
- What if this is a test?
- Act like you didn’t see it and then collect it with your own change.
- If you hand it in, the money will just go back into the super wealthy supermarket.
- You could do with some extra money, think of it as a prize!
- I don’t need it, someone else might need it more than I do.
- You’ll look like a fool handing over $5.
- You’ll look like a fool taking $5.
- It’s not free money, it’s not on the street, it’s still in the shop, it’s not mine.
- It’s better to be an honest person, maybe I will be rewarded in some other way.
I ended up calling over the shop assistant and I told her someone must have left the money there. She seemed a bit confused but took it. I don’t know what happened to it after that.
What would you have done?